"If you’re a science buff then I’m sure you’ll enjoy this book."

Transmat World


by Glen Hendrix


Genre: Science Fiction

Book Synopsis

It is the year 2145 A.D. From a Post-Hit apocalypse rises a technology so powerful it destroys the economic infrastructure of Earth. Vince Miller is determined to forge that technology into something that will turn humanity’s fortune around and take it to the stars. The only things in his way are a deranged artificial intelligence that claims those very stars and a cease and desist order from a parallel universe. Non-compliance is not an option.

Bec's Rating





Bec's Review


I feel I should have enjoyed this book more than I did. After all on first impressions it ticks all the boxes. It’s a science fiction book, a genre I enjoy reading. It’s well written, a fact easy to see by opening the book to the beginning and from the synopsis it has an interesting storyline (a fact which is true of the book). And yet despite the book reading like a professional novel, and despite wanting to know what happened next there were elements of this book that largely decreased my enjoyment of it.

The first element that should be mentioned is that this book falls into one of the pitfalls of science fictions by risking being overly technical. While scientific details are a part of this book there were a few times when I found myself lost and confused, occasionally skipping paragraphs as a result. Perhaps those who have a firm grasp of scientific knowledge would not have felt this confusion but I, representing the common reader, felt like certain details went over my head. Though to be truthful there were also times when I found myself confused without the aid of the scientific details that were beyond my understanding, as there are plot elements that are also confusing, only increasing the amount of confusion this book caused me and decreasing my enjoyment of it.

In fact the part of the book I enjoyed the most was before the actual story started and was the prologue telling of the asteroid hitting Earth, or “The Hit” as it gets commonly referred to. A large part of me was disappointed that the story then switched to several years in the future, as I wanted to find out more about the trials the survivors went through. Let me state again though that this book is in fact well written, despite the confusion I felt towards it. I just feel that it is not one for me and not something to pick up if you are looking for a bit of light reading. The book requires concentration and maybe a degree of scientific knowledge to avoid confusion. If you’re a science buff then I’m sure you’ll enjoy this book. It’s just a pity that I couldn’t enjoy it more.

Disclaimer: May not be appropriate for children due to violence.